What are the community benefits of a wind farm in Antrim?
AWE has worked with the Town of Antrim over the past several years to create a community benefits package that creates long-term value for the Town and can be supported by the project. These benefits include:
- Annual tax payments of at least $11,250 per MW = $324,000 /year for 20 years for a 28.8 MW project.
- Permanent conservation easements on over 900 acres of permanent conservation land.
- $40,000 payment to enhance recreational facilities around Gregg Lake Beach.
- Local Job Creation: AWE has been employing local and regional professional consultants for several years and has already invested millions in the NH economy during development. The project will create 84 full-time equivalent (FTE) jobs during construction and 12 FTE jobs during operations while contributing approximately $53,000,000 to the local area economy over the first 20 years of the project’s life.
- Economic development benefits without the added costs typical of other forms of development (no added traffic, no need for new water or sewer service, no upgrades or increased maintenance costs for public roads, no new policing requirements and no busing or added pressure on schools)
- Stabilization of electricity prices dominated by a volatile natural gas market.
- Clean energy. Wind power produces no emissions and the wind is not subject to volatile market pricing. The Antrim Wind project will produce enough electricity for the equivalent of approximately 12,000 NH homes while avoiding the emissions of 52,000 tons of CO2 each year and additional annual offset of some 135 tons of NOx, SOx, particulates and other harmful emissions. It will also save approximately 15,400,000 gallons of fresh water each year. These are benefits that reach us all.